Cougars Storm Back For Improbable 12-11 OT Win

Cougars Storm Back For Improbable 12-11 OT Win

Buzzards Bay, Mass. – In what some would call the greatest comeback in program history, visiting Clark University rallied from five goals down in the final six minutes – scoring two goals in the final 23 seconds of regulation - to force overtime and eventually take an improbable 12-11 win over Massachusetts Maritime Academy on Saturday evening in Pilgrim League lacrosse action.

Peter Christiansen (Seattle, Wash.) scored the game-winning goal with 1:10 left in the first overtime session capping a miraculous comeback that saw Clark score the final six goals of the game.

Things looked bleak for the Cougars who found themselves down 11-6 with 6:03 left in the game following the fifth straight Buccaneer goal.

Clark began the long road back less than 20 seconds later, however, as Jeffrey Wasson (Buckhorn, Ontario) fed Rob Holden (East Longmeadow, Mass.) for his second marker of the contest.

Holden then found Christiansen on the man-up advantage for the first of his career-best three scores with 4:01 remaining, making the score 11-8.

Christiansen notched an unassisted tally with a little more than two minutes to play but the Cougars were still trailing 11-9.

The gap closed to 11-10 with 23 seconds to play as Christiansen scored again with help from Holden.

Ryan Marsh (Oyster Bay, N.Y.) won the ensuing faceoff and scooped up the groundball, which made its way to Keegan Callahan (Tewksbury, Mass.) for the equalizer with eight seconds to play.

Each team had a possession in the sudden death four minute extra session and the Buccaneers had a shot by Drew Prowse turned back by Kevin Ranta (Beverly, Mass.) with 1:27 left in overtime.

Zach Duffy (Wakefield, Mass.) was able to scoop up the groundball and moments later Christiansen was not only completing his first career hat trick but giving Clark the unbelievable come from behind victory.

In a game that had 23 goals scored, it started off incredibly slow. Clark was held scoreless for the first 24 minutes of the game until Jacob Maselek (Marblehead, Mass.) assisted on Wasson's first goal to even the score at 1-1 midway through the second period.

The Cougars would score three of the next four goals including a Wasson tally with 39 seconds left in the half to go into intermission with a 4-2 edge.

Momentum swung to Massachusetts Maritime almost immediately to begin the second half as they got goals from Sean Staples and Nicholas Defuria 25 seconds about less than two minutes into the third quarter to knot the game at 4-4.

Prowse and Maselek traded goals and then so did C.J. Hanson and Holden before Stephen Ferro put the Buccaneers ahead with 1:11 left in the frame.

Ferro's goal not only kickstarted the MMA five goal stretch over a ten minute span that put the Buccaneers ahead 11-6 and seemingly in position for their third victory of the season.

Massachusetts Maritime held the advantage in several statistical categories, including faceoffs (19-7), groundballs (32-27) and in shots (37-28).

But Clark was excellent on special teams, going 4-for-10 on the man advantage and forced 22 Buccaneer turnovers.

Wasson led the way offensively for the Cougars, finishing with three goals and a career-high three assists. Holden tied a career-high with a game-best four scores, while Christiansen's career day included three goals and three assists.

Now at 6-8 overall and 1-1 in league action, Clark will step out of conference for a home matchup with Plymouth State on Wednesday evening.