Northampton, Mass. – The Clark University men's cross country team kicked off the 2016 season with a fifth place finish at the Smith Invitational hosted by Smith College in Northampton, Mass on Saturday.
The Cougars, with 159 points, finished in fifth place behind Coast Guard (40), Babson College (44), Springfield College (71) and Franklin Pierce (83) and were led by junior Alex Hull (Mount Laurel, N.J.), who placed 19th with a time of 29:26:6.
Babson sophomore Matthew Dynan lead the way in the men's race with a time of 27:41:9 edging Coast Guard's Zachary Velazquez to pick up the win.
- Freshman Satchel Smith (Treasure Island, Fla.) finished 45th (31:23).
- Freshman Thomas Alden (Groton, Mass.) finished 50th (31:59).
- Senior Samuel Smith (Concord, N.H.) finished 52nd (32:08).
- Sophomore Isaac Stone (Natick, Mass.) finished 62nd (33:15).
- Sophomore Benjamin Forman (Glenside, Pa.) finished 66th (34:08).
- Senior Ethan Winslow (Pittsfield, Mass) finished 63rd (33:40).
- Freshman Griffin Simmons (South Berwick, Maine) finished 74th (35:53).
- Sophomore Jonathan Gober (New Market, Md.) finished 84th (37:35).
"Overall, it was a good race for us," said Clark head coach Bill Gray. "To have two first-years finish in the top five for us was great. I'm looking forward for our team to shine in upcoming races."
Clark University returns to action next Saturday with an appearance in the Bruce Kirsch Cross Country Cup at Hopkinton State Park in Hopkinton, N.H. The race is slated to begin at 12:00 p.m.