Second Half Rally Lifts Hawks to Victory Over Men's Lacrosse

Second Half Rally Lifts Hawks to Victory Over Men's Lacrosse


-Score: Roger Williams University 10, Clark University 7

-Records: Clark (4-4), Roger Williams (5-3)

-Location: Bristol, R.I.

-The Lead: The Hawks of Roger Williams University used a second half rally to defeat the Clark University men's lacrosse team on Saturday afternoon. Clark led by two at halftime (5-3) before the Hawks outscored the Cougars 7-2 in the final two quarters to take away the 10-7 final, non-conference, victory.


-The Cougars got on the board first with a ground ball pickup by sophomore Conor Khung (Wrentham, Mass.) and a clear shot to the back of the net. Two minutes later, junior Jack Mandracchia (Melrose, Ma.) passed the ball to Chris Rasco (Huntington, N.Y.) from behind the goal to put Clark up by two.

-With just under six minutes left in the first period, Chris Bova (Ridgefield, Conn.) sent a pass to Jude Marzec (West Islip, N.Y.) to give the Hawks their first goal. At the 5:24 mark, sophomore Mark DellaTorre (Bethany, Conn.) went down the middle of RWU's defense to score Clark's third goal.

-RWU's Weston Nolan (Falmouth, Maine) saved the Cougars' last shot of the quarter in the final minute from sophomore Dan Turgeon (Holden, Mass.) to keep the score at 1-3 with the Cougars in the lead going into the second period.  

-Seven minutes into the period, Peter Navarro (Londonderry, N.H.) shot the ball directly through the Cougars defense and found the back of the net. Following the goal, junior Andrew Hollerbach (West Harford, Conn.) passed the ball to senior Jack Pierce (Westborough, Mass.) to give the Cougars their fourth goal and a 4-2 score.

-Two minutes later, Navarro scored his second unassisted goal of the game for the Hawks to cut Clark's lead to one. The Cougars battled back with an unassisted goal from first year Noah Skole (Longmeadow, Mass.) at the 4:29 mark to put the score at 5-3 going into the third period.

-The Hawks dominated the third period starting with a goal by Tim Mullane (Hanover, Mass.) taking an assist from Pat Barboza (Stamford, Conn.). Three minutes later, Marzec came from behind the net and passed the ball to Bova to tie the game at 5-5.

-RWU earned their first lead of the game at the 2:58 mark with Bova taking an assist from Gabe Reale (Fairfield, Conn.). With a minute to go in the period, Reale found the back of the net unassisted to increase the Hawks' lead to 7-5.

-With just 41 seconds left in the period, Rasco got through two defensive players and scored unassisted to cut RWU's lead to one going into the final period.

-Six minutes into the final period, Marzec took a shot at goal while falling to the ground and reached the back of the net to put the score at 8-6. RWU increased their lead with a third goal from Bova after Marzec got through Clark's defense with an assist to put the score at 9-6.

-Jared Grier (Quincy, Mass.) scored the last goal for RWU unassisted at the 1:28 mark. A minute later, Rasco took an assist from Hollerbach for the final goal of the game. RWU took the victory with the final score of 10-7.


-Rasco led the Cougars with three goals with Hollerbach adding two assists. Thomas Berzok (East Brunswick, N.J.) took the loss, making six saves in the second half. Ryan Mickelson (Mattawan, Mich.) made five saves in the first half.

-Senior Tyler Sullivan (Brunswick, Maine) finished with three ground balls and two caused turnovers for Clark. Junior Bobby Philbin (Ridgefield, Conn.) grabbed a game-high five ground balls and won 9-of-12 face-offs for the Cougars.

-Marzec had four points on two goals and two assists, while Bova also contributed with four points on three goals and one assist. Shawn Errasti (Duxbury, Mass.) had four ground balls and one caused turnover. Nolan made seven saves in the win.


-Clark hosts Plymouth State on Wednesday, March 27th at 7:00 p.m.

-Roger Williams travels to UMass-Dartmouth on Monday, March 25th for a 4:00 p.m. contest.