Worcester, Mass. – Quinn Mitchell (West Hartford, Conn.) won two individual events and set a school record in the 50-yard butterfly as the Clark University women's swimming and diving team dropped a 148-118 dual meet decision to New England Women's And Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) rival WPI on Wednesday evening.
Mitchell blazed her way to the school-record shattering time of 27.02, flying past former record holder Gaby Jijon-Nemalceff, who set her then record time of 27.23 back in 2014.
In addition to her victory in the 50-yard butterfly, Mitchell also took top honors in the 100-yard butterfly in a time of 1:01.36.
Other Notable Performances:
- Amelia Muratori (Southbury, Conn.) finished first in the 50-yard freestyle (25.98) and was edged out in the 100-yard freestyle (58.48) by WPI's Emily Matsco (58.07).
- Lauren Clark (Haverhill, Mass.) won both diving events, beginning with the 1-meter (161.75) and then finishing up on the 3-meter board (172.55).
- Karina Urquhart (Sanford, Maine) was first in the 200-yard IM (2:23.87).
- Melissa Orzechowski (Windsor, Conn.) won two events – the 500-yard freestyle (5:25.16) and the 1,000-yard freestyle (11:11.28) – and then finished second in the 50-yard backstroke (29.76).
- The Cougars' 200-yard freestyle relay foursome of Muratori, Charlotte Gray (Sandy Hook, Conn.), Orzechowski and Mitchell (1:45.20) bested another contingent of Clark swimmers in Niki Lew (Auburndale, Mass.), Lara Prosterman (San Francisco, Calif.), Sasha Kumar (Canyon Country, Calif.) and Jacie Carson (Eugene, Ore.), who turned in a time of 1:55.93.
Clark will return to the water on Saturday with a home meet against Brandeis.